Recognized as one of the most progressive utilities in Alaska, Alaska Power & Telephone (www.aptalaska.com) currently provides service to communities located above the Arctic Circle, deep in the Wrangell Mountains and throughout the islands of Southeast Alaska. AP&T is an employee owned, vertically integrated utility that independently owns and operates ten isolated power systems across a large expanse of Alaska. We incorporate hydro, solar and diesel resources to provide economic power to the communities we serve.
We are looking for a Mechanical Engineer, for design tasks and hands-on operations assistance around the State of Alaska. We are open to various home-base locations but prefer someone in Alaska or the Northwest. This role will provide engineering support for a wide range of electric utility tasks including generation, transmission and distribution serving over 40 cities and villages in rural Alaska.
As a small utility, we offer a diversity of experience. We work together to safely integrate innovative new generation resources including renewables, address day-to-day operational issues, ensure power system stability, connect and monitor industrial load centers power quality, pursue coordination issues, address regulatory requirements and other such tasks. The successful candidate will work to find their own relative strengths within our staff and ultimately take leadership on a variety of projects. The candidate should be comfortable working directly with tools and equipment alongside operations personnel when required to successfully complete a job.
Duties and Responsibilities
Along with other engineering staff, the candidate will be expected to learn to
- Oversee the installation, maintenance, repair and rebuilding of hydro and diesel generating equipment
- Design and document mechanical systems
- Work closely with field personnel, providing operational support for diesel, hydro and other plant facilities including emergency troubleshooting during non-working hours if needed
- Identify design problems; work to investigate, analyze, and develop corrective action plans
- Prepare operational procedures, equipment specifications, RFPs and material requisitions
- Assist with equipment installation, testing, startup, modifications, upgrades, repairs and documentation
- Work closely to support field personnel
- Assist operations with and contribute to a company-wide CMMS (computerized maintenance management system)
- Bachelor’s degree (BS) required in Mechanical Engineering OR a BS in any Engineering program with extensive working background in applicable mechanical systems (rotating equipment)
- Minimum of 3 years of experience
- Knowledge of engineering design principles and engineering standards and codes applicable to electric utility operations such as generation, transmission, distribution
- Ability to self-motivate, manage time, plan projects, & communicate with other team members
- Ability to safely identify and work around electrical and mechanical equipment
- Efficient with AutoCAD, Microsoft Office and other similar basic computer tools
- Current passport and ability to travel to other locations, typically 25% of workload will be travel
- Ability to pass background and drug tests
- Mental flexibility, willingness to learn unfamiliar parts of the job and a positive attitude
- Rural Alaskan experience with isolated grid operations and extreme climate challenges
- Professional Engineering license
- Familiar with suppliers and equipment sources for diesels, generators and accessories
- Knowledge of diesel air emissions regulations and emissions testing and abatement equipment
- Experience with Caterpillar, Cummins, Detroit and John Deer diesel generators (50kw to 4000kw)
- Experience of equipment related to impulse hydro generating units such as hydraulic pressure units, bearings, large water valves
AP&T is a small employee & investor owned, non-union utility. We offer competitive wages and an attractive compensation and benefits package. If you are self-motivated and want to work for a stable company, please apply today! NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
EEO Employer/Vets/Disabled and Drug and Alcohol-free workplace