Wasilla, Alaska – Central Office/Network Engineer
Recognized as one of the most progressive utilities in Alaska, Alaska Power & Telephone (www.aptalaska.com) currently provides service to communities located above the Arctic Circle, deep in the Wrangell Mountains and throughout the islands of Southeast Alaska.
We have a full time opening for a Central Office/Network Engineer to work in our Wasilla office. This position will work with other Engineers, Technicians, and Customer Service Representatives to support our existing voice and data networks. This position will also participate in the design and deployment of capital projects to enhance or expand our existing product offerings.
A successful candidate will be a self-starter, highly motivated, flexible, detail-oriented, and willing to follow directions. They must be interested in learning and applying new technologies and skills. The candidate must also possess excellent team and interpersonal skills, the ability to work with minimum supervision and possess good customer service skills.
Candidate Qualifications Required
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineer, Computer Engineering, or Network Engineering or CCIE/JNCIE
- 5+ years experience as a Network Engineer. Designing, deploying, and maintaining Juniper or Alcatel-Lucent based LAN/WAN networks, with a good understanding of Switches, Routers, and Firewalls.
- 5+ years experience as a Central Office engineer. Identifying, testing, and provisioning the best equipment to service customer’s voice and data needs. Familiar with the following: DC power and grounding design in a CO, Class 5 switch provisioning, Fiber, Microwave, SONET, MPLS, DS3, DS1, DSL, Ethernet, and unlicensed Wireless.
Additional Skills & Experience Desired
- Experience with an ISP/Telco, as well as Metro Ethernet equipment and designs
- Good understanding of TCP/IP, FTP, PPP, PPPoE, MPLS, dynamic routing protocols
- Familiar with FTTH, Wireless Broadband, VDSL2, ADSL2+, and G.SHDSL
- Knowledgeable of various firewall technologies and their application
- Must possess troubleshooting skills and the ability to diagnose and resolve transmission or network related problems
- Experience with TCP/IP packet analysis, using Wireshark or raw packet captures using tcpdump
- Must be able to develop and maintain clear and accurate documentation
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide courteous and responsive service to local site technicians, customer service reps, and customers
- Responsible for monitoring and troubleshooting Network and Transport equipment
- Maintain backups of network equipment configurations
- Contribute to and assist in maintaining documentation of Central Office Rack Layouts, Network drawings, and equipment configurations
- Perform or create a MOP and oversee the performance of software upgrades on a variety of Voice, Data, and DSL equipment
- Occasional travel to AP&T sites throughout Alaska, less than 5% travel required
AP&T is a small employee & investor owned, non-union utility. We offer competitive wages and an attractive compensation and benefits package. If you are self-motivated and want to work for a stable company, please apply today! There is no relocation benefit for this position. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
Applications are only accepted online. Applications must be submitted by 5pm (AKST) on May 25th, 2018.
EEO Employer/Vets/Disabled and Drug and Alcohol-free workplace