Are you an exceptional salesman? Do you enjoy building effective relationships and closing sales?
We are looking for excellent teamwork skills, communication skills, an understanding of regulatory specifications and professional diplomacy. If you are self-directed, organized, and have a pipeline of energy market connections in California, we are interested in speaking with you!
The Southwest Sales Director will be responsible for co-developing strategies and associated tactics for closing UET product and service sales for the Southwest Region of the United States (California, Arizona, and New Mexico).
Large scale energy storage is one of the fastest growing sectors in the power infrastructure industry and UET is well positioned to capture a significant market share. Explosive market growth is fueled by the exciting transformation of the industry towards distributed renewable energy sources and increasing energy efficiency. Energy storage is a fundamental for accelerating the adoption of renewable generation sources, optimizing efficiency, and boosting resiliency of energy infrastructure.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Serve as the energy market expert in the Southwestern Region, with primary focus being the California market.
- Lead efforts to identify sales targets and secure sales for UET energy storage solutions, meeting or exceeding sales volume goals set regularly by UET management.
- Identify and establish relationships with key customer decision makers.
- Leverage existing relationships of candidate with key customer decision makers.
- Develop and implement sector, sub-sector and account strategies, based on a sophisticated understanding of customer needs, UET’s value propositions, and competing solutions.
- Understand at an advanced level and articulate in a clear and compelling manner complex energy challenges, energy modelling, and the business case for UET storage solutions in a sales context.
- Prepare professional quality sales materials including sales proposals, presentations, and responses to open procurement solicitations (e.g. RFIs, RFOs, RFPs).
- Responsible for working within UET’s product suite, and pricing framework to achieve profitable sales objectives.
- Collaborate effectively with sales analysts, engineering, production, business development, marketing, and legal personnel (when applicable) to secure UET sales in one of the most important North American energy storage markets.
- Significant travel to engage customers and market influencers within the assigned territory.
- Report regularly on regional customer and market activity, including detailed customer engagement efforts and market observations to contribute to UETs market knowledge and effective implementation of company, product and sales strategies.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required
- Direct experience and knowledge of energy markets and related industries such as renewable generation, utilities, IPP’s, and commercial/industrial/institutional energy operations, applicable regulatory frameworks, channel partners (enabling effective networking) and UET competitors.
- 3-5 years’ experience in consultative, value proposition based sales for complex, technical solutions.
- Baccalaureate degree in a relevant field (preferably engineering, energy or business disciplines), with a preference for candidates with a master’s or other graduate degree.
- Thorough understanding of the utility and energy markets, in which UET competes.
- Extensive experience establishing multi-level senior, decision-making level contacts within utilities, IPP’s, and/or key commercial/industrial markets.
- Strong working knowledge and demonstrated proficiency in sales leadership and complex technology and capital equipment solution-based sales.
- Strong understanding of and success in B2B sales on corporate level and how to drive revenue and profitability while solving customer needs.
- Strong understanding of California energy markets at wholesale and retail levels.
- Understanding of and proficiency with the economics of capital equipment sales and large-scale energy projects.
- Ability to work in independently in a growth company, with a market-driven, fast-paced, ever-changing work environment
- Ability to think creatively and take initiative to overcome challenges in a highly-competitive, fast-changing market and achieve ambitious sales goals.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills.
- Excellent organizational and planning skills; with the ability to prioritize sales targets.
- Strong technology skills, including proficiency with MS Office Suite (Excel, Work, PowerPoint, MS Project).
- 8+ years’ experience in consultative, value proposition based sales for complex, technical solutions.
- Preference for previous work experience in utility procurement, IPP, or energy services companies.
- Strong preference for prior experience in energy storage.
UniEnergy Technologies (UET) produces and delivers megawatt scale, energy storage solutions for utility, commercial and industrial, and microgrid customers. We’re at the cutting edge of smart energy management enabling customers to cut their greenhouse gas emissions and provide more clean energy. The core patented technology is an advanced vanadium flow battery, with a new generation electrolyte first developed and patented at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory with the support of the US DOE Office of Electricity. UET’s solution is differentiated by industry leading footprint density, broad ambient temperature stability, and is 100% recyclable. The water based technology is inherently safe, operationally flexible, reliable, non-degrading, and economically compelling. The Uni.System™ is the largest deployed vanadium flow battery in North America and Europe that supports demand response, peak shaving, renewable generation integration, ramping, frequency and voltage regulation. UET operates a Seattle-area 60,000 square foot engineering & manufacturing facility scaling up to produce 100 megawatts annually.