We are a lively and world renowned art studio based out of Seattle. We currently have an opening for a Studio Assistant to work on the Mock-up Installation team. The Studio Assistant/Mock-up Installer will assemble and build groupings of glass elements to create art for museums, galleries, commissions, and exhibitions. This is a rare opportunity for a detail oriented, creative individual to learn and grow within the fine arts industry.
The standard hours of this position are Monday through Friday, 7:30am – 4:00pm, and require the flexibility to work overtime as needed. This position does require the ability to travel when needed. Reliable transportation and a valid driver’s license are required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Under general guidance and with broad direction, build mock-ups of installations considering such factors as light, balance, color, form, weight and size limitations
- Inspect all glass elements for imperfections while building and/or installing
- Incorporate feedback from project managers and others involved in the project to refine mock-up or installation
- Compile technical information and documentation for registration process and for reference on-site, including recording dimensions, photographing, and tallying assembled glass elements
- Assume special projects and participate in all activities as assigned
- Prepare glass elements for installations by attaching wires, wrapping posts and cleaning pieces
- Organize workspace on site, including unpacking glass, organizing tools, assisting in deinstallation and performing maintenance as needed
- BA in Fine Arts or other art related degree program
- Minimum three years of museum related installation experience
- Possess artistic talent with compositional and color sense and confidence in aesthetic judgments
- Understand aesthetic principles of glass as an art medium
- Demonstrated ability to operate general construction tools, equipment and machinery, such as forklifts and scissor lifts
- Ability to comprehend and retain specialty training, such as rigging and scaffolding information
- Ability to travel to locations as needed for project installations and/or events
- Remain flexible to changing priorities and facilitating changes in established project calendar
- Ability to work extended hours
- Mental ability to conduct on-going interpersonal interactions, analyze and solve problems, and interact with others
- Possess knowledge of general office policies and administrative procedures/computer literate
- Understand structural and safety principals as they apply to glass and installations
- Valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record
This position has many physical demands, and requires the ability to stand, bend and twist over long periods of time as well as engage in repetitive motions of feet, arms and hands. The Studio Assistants must be able to work at heights, including climbing ladders and working from scaffolding and/or lifts and have the ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds regularly.
We offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits including a health/dental/vision care package, employer retirement match, and paid time off.
How to Apply: Applications are accepted using our online application process only. NO PHONE CALLS, PLEASE!