We are looking for a Telecommunications Network/Field Combo Technician at our Ketchikan, Alaska location. This is a hands-on role that will work on remote mountaintop sites; climb communications towers to heights of 100 ft.; be certified in tower rescue; install and disconnect circuits; monitor network and be the primary alarm responder for any network or field work as needed; able to lift up to 100lbs. Applicant must be willing to spend an estimated 20% of time traveling with overnight stays; and respond to after-hour emergency calls.
A successful candidate will have excellent customer service skills and strong communications skills, both verbal and written. Our ideal candidate will have exceptional analytical and problem-solving skills, attention to detail, the ability to prioritize tasks independently and work under stressful situations.
- High School Diploma or GED
- 5 years of experience in general telecommunication infrastructure and field maintenance experience, including tower and antenna installation or 3-5 years electrical experience in a similar or related industry
- Experience with TDM and IP data transport and network troubleshooting
- Strong technical background, with basic knowledge of DC and AC wiring and RF (i.e. theory, polarity, path alignment, modulation, bandwidth and power (dBm))
- Working knowledge of computer networks; MS Office Suite, Telnet/puTTY, and HyperTerminal
- Possess strong trouble shooting skills; ability to test electronic units using standard test equipment along with the ability to analyze the results to evaluate performance and write reports or record data clearly and concisely
- Ability to work with assorted power and manual tools including microwave power meter, frequency counter, spectrum analyzer and digital voltmeter
- Ability to climb communication towers up to 100ft
- Ability to lift up to 100lbs and work from ladders when needed
- Willingness to take extended trips in the field with overnight stays on remote mountain top sites (20%)
- Ability to work in all weather conditions for extended time periods; proven ability to cope with Alaska’s harsh weather & challenging environment
- Valid driver’s license and ability to be insured by AP&T
- Pre-employment background and drug test required
Applications are only accepted online. For more information, please visit the employment section at www.aptalaska.com.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. There is no relocation benefit for this position.
EEO Employer/Vets/Disabled and Drug and Alcohol-free workplace