Chihuly Studio is a lively and world renowned art studio based out of Seattle. We are seeking a dynamic, experienced professional to lead its Registration team.
The Registration Manager will manage all operations of the Registration Department including ownership of the Vetro CRM system and Asset Bank digital asset management system, formulation and implementation of policies and procedures around artwork handling, conservation and records management, digital asset production and administration, and management and handling of archives and collections. This individual will be a strategic partner to the Executive Team and Studio management by recommending and executing best practices, and by formulating policies and procedures that will aid in long-term planning and administration of artwork, collections and archives. This manager will be responsible for leading and developing a high functioning team capable of collaborating with Studio cohorts as registration, conservation, and archive practices and procedures evolve.
Our Ideal Candidate is:
- Curious, organized, self-directed leader comfortable in a dynamic work environment
- Creative problem-solver
- Strong and savvy communicator able to work effectively and collegially throughout an organization
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage all aspects of Studio and privately owned art inventory
- In collaboration with the warehouse manager, formulate and implement packing/storage/shelving protocol for artwork and collections and digital assets
- Maintain Vetro and Asset Bank databases including updating of artwork and digital asset data and records. Lead the implementation of system updates and enhancements.
- Train users on Vetro and Asset Bank and maintain training documents
- Coordinate with warehouse staff on inventory counts and reconcile Vetro records to accounting records
- Develop and implement policies and procedures to facilitate the safe handling, storage and condition reporting of artwork in Studio facilities and on loan
- Review pertinent contracts to ensure adherence to protocol for artwork handling, storage, and condition reporting
- Manage the digital asset librarian and the Asset Bank digital asset system
- Work closely with the PR/Communications staff to manage rights and reproduction activities associated with artwork, digital assets and collections
- Train, mentor and develop a staff of six
- Oversee the photography studio, ensuring that photography resources are effectively prioritized
- Manage image assets including the Asset Bank digital asset system, and curation and storage of non-digital image assets
- Formulate and implement preventative conservation policies and practices, and diagnose and prioritize conservation needs for artworks
- Oversee archivist activities and archived materials to ensure proper retention and organization. Participate with executive management on long-term and strategic planning for the artist’s archives and collections.
- Generate policies and messaging for client and gallery inquiries
- Oversee Chihuly personal collections (artwork and collectibles) and serve as a point of contact for outside consultants
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Proven leadership ability and experience
- Minimum 3 years’ work experience in the arts field
- Familiarity with museum industry standards
- Experience maintaining physical and intellectual control of artwork, archives and image assets
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Experience with Microsoft Dynamics 365 or inventory tracking database preferred
We offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits including a health/dental/vision care package, employer retirement match, and paid time off.