Do you enjoy the outdoors?
Do you want to live in the rugged wilderness in Alaska, traveling by boat, car or plane to complete your job?
Recognized as one of the most progressive utilities in Alaska, Alaska Power & Telephone (www.aptalaska.com) currently provides service to communities located above the Arctic Circle, deep in the Wrangell Mountains and throughout the islands of Southeast Alaska. We travel by boat, floatplane, snow machine, riverboat, helicopter and all-terrain vehicles.
We are recruiting for a full-time entry level Telephone Combination Technician for Metlakatla. This position will include frequent travel for OJT and company Projects as well as travel to other AP&T exchanges as needed, depending on construction and other seasonal needs. Successful applicants will be expected to be trained and/or proficient in:
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Basic telephone installation, troubleshooting and repair
- Placing, maintaining, and repairing outside telephone/communication plants, including copper, fiber, and coaxial cables.
- Providing customer service from a Service Order for telephone, internet, and calculating appropriate charges with local CSR’s or billing department.
- Pole climbing, ladders, bucket truck techniques
- Use of typical industry test equipment to troubleshoot faults, perform maintenance, and monitor equipment includes analog and digital testers, notebooks and PC’s.
- Complete work from engineering drawings, using standard tools, materials and procedures.
- Basic programming of soft switch and broad band loop carriers.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Our ideal applicant will have the ability and willingness to do a wide variety of work, and the willingness to learn and to do new duties in this ever changing market. We are looking for dependable team player with a positive attitude!
Candidate Qualifications Required
- Member of the reservation or the ability to obtain a yearly work permit to work on the Island
- High School Diploma or GED
- Valid driver’s license and ability to be insured by AP&T
- 6 months to 1 year of customer service experience; great customer service skills
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.)
- 1 year mechanical or electrical experience preferred
- Proven ability to cope with Alaska’s harsh weather & challenging environment
- Ability to lift up to 40 pounds, and perform job duties such as climbing poles
- Ability to complete a pre-employment background check, drug test and medical exam
- Ability to obtain CDL as necessary
Applications are only accepted online. Please apply with your cover letter and resume in a single document today !
There is no relocation benefit for this position. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
EEO Employer/Vets/Disabled and Drug and Alcohol free workplace